Tuesday 13 December 2011

First Musings

Welcome to my blog.  It's been a long time coming.  For well over a year I've considered writing, but over the last couple months it become clear that I would do it soon.  When I began composing posts in my head, I knew it was time.  There were a good 10 posts that would have been good for a laugh or two...But the old gray matter just couldn't recall them. 

This space will be a platform for my general thoughts about life; a space in which I will  "muse" about the things that inspire me.  Because I have been entranced with this beautiful, exotic, breathtaking world of ours for as long as I can remember, I feel that, in a sense it has been my muse.  So this will be part travel blog, a space in which I share photos and thoughts about amazing places I've visited.

But it will be more than a travel blog, because the more I live in the world, the more I feel awestruck and inspired by what surrounds me. The natural world, with it's inherent perfection. But also that which we create: art, architecture, design, good food. And people--and the absolute joy (and, at times, utter despair) they bring to our emotional lives.

As a young traveller before the digital age, I took rolls and rolls of film, to try to capture the essence of the places I visited.  The sights, sounds, smells, feel of a place. My friends, of course, made lots of fun of me, and I deserved it.  My husband (M from here on in) often told me to put down the camera, and just be. But I often felt as though I couldn't help myself.  I needed to document a beautiful moment, because I knew how fleeting it was, and I wanted to be able to relive it somehow, again, later. At times, I even missed out on moments because I was too busy chasing them with my camera. 

As I get older, I realize that it's better to live a moment that to observe it for the purpose of documentation.   And I have realized that there is perfection in being fully present in the life we're living, right now. 

But that old itch to capture some of life's beautiful essence so that I can ingest it and keep it a part of me has never left me. Just ask my hard drive, with its thousands of photos.

Hence, this blog. In it, I will highlight those things that I cannot help myself from trying to capture, ingest, digest, even in small measure.

It will mainly be a place for me to blather on about a bunch of stuff, and this novel of a post is just a long winded attempt to find a common thread.

Yeah, it's a lot.  But that's what's awesome about this: it's my blog, and I'll write if I want to. I hope you'll read....

No comments: