Friday 16 December 2011

Homemade Hanukkah Gifts

It doesn't really  make sense to me to spend a bunch of money on Hanukkah gifts for an almost 3 year old and a 6 month old.  These kids get gifts every month or two when they see grandparents or other family members.  They are constantly getting new toys and clothes.  Both just got a whole wack of stuff because both sets of grandparents came to visit within less than a week of each other.  And there wasn't any particular occasion.  Don't get me wrong.  I personally LOVE getting presents, and even though we kind of fought it at first, I've decided that I don't want to be that person who doesn't let my child receive gifts.  But we do worry about them learning to expect stuff as a result.

But I do love to give gifts, and since the little dude is all about the alphabet these days, this seemed like a good idea, and  one that will help him to learn his lower case letter to boot.  These are painted rocks. 
These bad boys are going to be both a matching game AND magnets to be used on a cookie sheet for mucho spelling fun down the line. I think they'll be too heavy to be on a fridge, since they're rocks.  Each set will have an image to help him find matches.  When I finish them, I'll turn them over and hot glue magnets onto them so that they can be flipped over to create a matching game. 
Since I loved the colour scheme of the rock magnet/matching game, I decided to reproduce the whole darn thing as a canvas for the kids' room.  This is far from complete.  Anybody have any funny suggestions for pictures? 
This is my abyssmal knitting.  Since I have other projects on the go, it has gotten short shrift.  Can you see those giant holes?  I was pretty horrified when I realized that my knitting teacher was relieved when I told her I'd need to miss a week.  Her response was to say, "Well, that's probably for the best.  You could really use the extra practice."  Ho, SNAP! I got SERVED.  But she was dead right.  And in two weeks, I've practiced for exactly zero minutes. 

No comments: