Thursday 15 December 2011

Not My Father's Versht

Growing up, one of my father's favorite things to eat was Versht, which I can only describe as a hard cured kosher sausage. He'd fry it up with some eggs or eat it with mustard,while enjoying other random culinary delights like jarred beet borscht and canned Bartlett pears in syrup.

Never being much of a fan, you can imagine that a pseudo vegetarian like me (I eat poulty and obviously, bacon) wouldn't get all too excited about going to a new beer hall called Wvrst, where they serve three things, and three things only: beer, sausages, and fries. Ok fine, I get really excited about fries. But beer and sausages? Not so much. So,it was with a bit of trepidation that I joined M and a few friends at Wvrst.
http://wvrst.com/

Right off the bat, I was digging the subway station inspired interior, and the reclaimed wood communal benches. The menu consisted of numerous types of meats,including some pretty crazy game options like kangaroo.Fortunately they had veggie and poultry options, all of which came with a choice of bun or no bun (definitely go bun), and a few toppings (sautéed jalapeños were a good call). The fries could be ordered plain or "dirty". This involved them being slathered in peppers, onions and some sort of yummy curry based ketchup. Call me a purist * ("you purist, you!") but I like my fries plain and simple. And my plain ones did a lot for me.

My ears may still be ringing (it was crazy loud), and my heart might not like me very much right now, but I would do it again.

* I thought it would be OK for me to substitute in for one of you. It's ok. You can return the favour some other time.


No comments: