Friday 30 March 2012

Kangaroos and Koalas and Emus, Oh My!

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is the first and oldest koala santuary in Australia.  About 30 minutes outside of Brisbane, it's a small and low key area where koalas, wallabees (a species of small kangaroo) and kangaroos are protected.  The koalas are free to hang out in their enclosures, and the kangaroos, wallabees and emus can roam and hop within the grassy hills.  You can even buy food for the kangaroos and feed them by hand.

M. and Big J feeding a cute little wallabee

This guy was absolutely MASSIVE.  Easily over 6 feet tall if he were standing tall. Check out how muscular his shoulders and upper arms are.  I would NOT want to mess with him.

Coming to a koala sanctuary also involves taking that quintessential of all Australia trip photos: you, cuddling a koala. 



 M. just asked me if I regretted not holding the koala.  I explained that under no circumstances do I ever want to touch a wild animal.  And then he shared with me the fact that although Mr. Koala smelled lovely - -like minty eucalytus, of course--he was also pooing on the trainer at that exact moment.  So, thank you very much, I'll take cuddling my own little human baby (as opposed to my other child, an alien baby) any day.

Obviously, for a three year old, this is all pretty mind blowing.  But I'll admit that my head exploded a bit, when we witnessed the following:



The sanctuary is also home to Emus, as well as caged birds, crocodiles, cassowaries (another gigantic bird that looks like a cross between a peacock and an ostrich) and dingos.  And the massive lizzards that we see everywhere were just walking around as per usual.

Seconds after taking this, the lizard moved, which of course scared the bejesus out of Big J and caused him to scream his little head off.  Case in point. Touching wild animals is generally unwise.
This guy was enormous.  And there is really something otherwordly about emus.
This day was a big highlight for us.  And Big J really was in heaven.  It's a place we definitely plan to return to before leaving this glorious country.



No comments: