Monday 11 June 2012

Silversmithing!

This morning, M. went off to do a yoga class at the Yoga Barn, a famous Ubud studio.  He raved about the space, which offers many types of yoga classes in an open air studio set amongst the rice paddies. He finished his morning to himself with a haircut and a shave.  I took the kids to the library again to hang out and read books.
M. returned to help with the nap time routine, and when both kids were settled, I went off to do my silversmithing class.  This is something I have always wanted to do, and was so excited to be able to do a private 3 hour class.  My teacher Made (pronounced Ma-day, which is a name the Balinese traditionally name their second born children) took me through the process of creating both a pendant and a ring from sterling silver.  She did all of the blowtorching and soldering, as well as sanded and scrubbed the pieces.  But I designed them and placed all the intricate embellishments on them.  I’ll say I’m pretty darn proud of what I created.  I also feel like I have a new appreciation for the complexity of jewelry design. 
We met our new friends (Jesse, Felicity, Lorna and kids) for dinner at a lovely restaurant  which overlooked a dance performance across a lilypad pond.  A really lovely time.

No comments: